At MyDrive, we have the chance to attend conferences throughout the year! James, Erida, Pascal and I signed up for Droidcon London which took place on 27-28 October.
Droidcon is a series of conferences focused on software development for Google’s Android smartphone framework. It’s the perfect opportunity to meet with fellow developers, to share ideas and techniques and to learn.
The 2 days were split into different tracks which our team had a really hard time choosing from. We had to split the team for most of the sessions. Here are my favorite sessions:
- Designing the Design Support Library – Chris Banes
- Java 8 on Android – Alex Florescu
- Really Important Things about the Business of Technology – Chet Haase
- Breaking Spotify’s release cycle by using the backend to drive the UI and feature releases – Chris Doyle
- Animatable – Nick Butcher
- Making Retrofit 2 Work For You – Jake Wharton
In addition to the conference, Droidcon/Skills Matter organised a hackathon for the weekend following the event, where participants were challenged to develop an app using at least one of the partners’ products. Products included Google’s Firebase, Equal Experts’s Bluetoothtap and Zebra’s TC8000.
James and I teamed up with other great developers and won the Firebase challenge. Pascal ended up winning the Bluetoothtap challenge.
MyDrive is always on the look out for individuals that enjoy a challenge and can bring some creativity to our team! Make sure to check our job page if you’d like to join us at the next conference!